Social Connections & Search This Blog

Contact MeBarbara David [Entrepreneurial Goddess] on FacebookBarbara David [EPGoddess] on G+Barbara David [EPGoddess] on NetworkedBlogsBarbara David [EPGoddess] on TwitterBarbara David [EPGoddess] on LinkyFollowersBarbara David [EPGoddess] on Pinterest

Thursday, October 03, 2013

A DASH OF ENTREPRENEURIAL #5 | Natural Curls 101

Hello there. Welcome to Entrepreneurial Goddess and the first post in my series entitled "Natural Curls".

I'm going back to my roots...yes...after years of relaxing my hair [chemically straighten for those of you unfamiliar girls], I've decided to go "au naturel". I've gotten tired of seeing more of my hair on the floor than on my head! My hair has become dry, brittle and thin. I used to relax my hair about every 6-8 weeks. Then I tried to stretch it to every 8-10 weeks and now I'm about thirteen weeks post my last relaxer.

This is new territory for me and I must admit that I'm finding it all somewhat overwhelming. Thank goodness for the YouTube hair community and the numerous videos from those girls who too have gone au naturel. I'm not as bold as some who have undergone the big chop and cut all their hair off. I'm going to take it slowly and wait for my relaxer to completely grow out. Patience is key, as I reckon I've got a long way to go!!!

I'm learning about the benefits of sulfate-free shampoos, deep conditioning, detangling, natural henna and indigo powder for colouring [don't think I'll ever get used to the pongy smell though...yuck!]. No more caustic and drying products for me. In fact, my newest discovery is natural shea butter. Some people don't like the smell of raw shea, but to me, it has a smoky aroma that is very much reminiscent of the Caribbean. I love this stuff! One word of caution, if you're going to invest in shea butter, make sure to buy the 100% natural and unrefined ivory shea [looks like the colour of unbaked bread dough, has a creamy consistency and is much easier to manipulate when at room temperature]. Unrefined means all the nutrients and natural goodness are still in it. Don't buy the refined stuff, it's way too processed to be any good. My first shea purchase was from Butters n Bars, but I just bought a bulk order from Coastal Scents, which'll probably last me a good year. I now make my own shea mix using unrefined shea butter, good old coconut oil and a few other natural oils like jojoba, sweet almond and castor. Shea butter is so versatile that I use the mixture for my face, body and hair. No more expensive and ineffective creams/greases for this naturalista!

If you were once a slave of relaxers or any other chemical process and have gone au naturel, I'd love to hear from you. Please share your tips and tricks in the comments box below. If you prefer, you're more than welcome to email me privately or connect with me on Facebook, Google+, Twitter...I need all the help I can get! In the meantime, you can read my other hair tangents here.

P.S. Don't forget to share if you like this post.

See you next time!
EPGsig

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting.
Comments are always welcome...so go on, say something!