Social Connections & Search This Blog

Contact MeBarbara David [Entrepreneurial Goddess] on FacebookBarbara David [EPGoddess] on G+Barbara David [EPGoddess] on NetworkedBlogsBarbara David [EPGoddess] on TwitterBarbara David [EPGoddess] on LinkyFollowersBarbara David [EPGoddess] on PinterestBarbara David [EPGoddess] on Instagram

Monday, April 14, 2014

A to Z Challenge - L is for LOTION | Beauty 202


Hello there. Welcome to Entrepreneurial Goddess.
I am taking part in the 2014 A-Z Challenge - 26 posts on 26 days of April, with Sundays off. Today's letter is: L for Lotion [Click here to see my other AtoZ posts]


Since my previous posts for the A-Z Challenge have all been pretty serious, I thought I'd lighten things up a bit for today.

In an attempt to veer away from chemically-filled products, I recently started making my own products using natural ingredients. You can read more about my experiences here. Shea Butter has become my new best friend - it's the base in everything I make. This stuff is awesome and so versatile. All my recipes are homemade and as such, no two batches are ever the same. I keep refining my recipes too, so I thought I'd try my hand at SPF Lotion. [drumroll please!]
 I've been reading up quite a bit about what's involved and for the most part, I usually have a wide selection of ingredients in my Test Kitchen. Having made lotion before, I thought I'd just reformulate one of my old recipes to include the SPF. I'm really chuffed at how this particular recipe has turned out, since it's my first attempt at making SPF Lotion! You'll find the ingredients list here. No need to fret if you haven't got everything on the list, just use what you have. I've found the ratio of 1 part oil, 2 parts water and 1/4 part wax a pretty good place to start [a part is whatever measurement you choose].
  I started out small so as not to waste my ingredients in case I botched things up! [and yes...that's happened to me on more than one occasion!!!] Once I was happy with the final result, I made a larger batch. This particular recipe filled two 4 oz mason jars and one 8 oz wide mouth mason jar with some left over. Also, refrigerating your mixture does involve extra steps. You don't have to do it. Once your oil and water are the same temperature, slowly add the water to the oil and blend together until you have the consistency you want. I like to refrigerate my mixture as it cools faster, whips easier and the end result is a lot fluffier/lighter texture [think of whipped cream, that's what you want to aim for]. To avoid separation, it's important that your oil/wax combo and water be at the same temperature. I encourage you to experiment and find what works for you. It's a lot of fun! See how in a few steps you can go from this:


To this:

Let me show you how I made it. View the photo tutorial from My Kitchen to yours here. If you have any questions, suggestions or your tips and tricks on making lotion, please feel free to share them in the comments box below.

See you next time!
EPGsig

2 comments :

  1. Thank you so much for this step by step. I really like how you mixed the water in early. I have been having such a hard time getting mine to mix well. I will try this way next. Thank u :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lorelle. So nice to see you here. It does take a lot of trial and error to get your formulations right. That's why it's best to practice using just small amounts of product. That way, you don't end up wasting your precious oils and butters when things don't turn out quite right. ;-) I'm glad I could help. See you soon my dear. Thanks for taking the time to visit /leave a comment.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting.
Comments are always welcome...so go on, say something!