Social Connections & Search This Blog

Contact MeBarbara David [Entrepreneurial Goddess] on FacebookBarbara David [EPGoddess] on G+Barbara David [EPGoddess] on NetworkedBlogsBarbara David [EPGoddess] on TwitterBarbara David [EPGoddess] on LinkyFollowersBarbara David [EPGoddess] on Pinterest

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A to Z Challenge - Z is for ZITHER


Hello there. Welcome to Entrepreneurial Goddess.
Hooray...I made it to the end! It's the final day for taking part in the 2014 A-Z Challenge - 26 posts on 26 days of April, with Sundays off. Although I'm done with posting for the challenge, I still have a lot of blogs to visit on the original signup list. I've been trying to keep up with ten blogs visits per day, but I need to take a mini break for now...this challenge has been exhausting!!! Just in case you missed any of my previous AtoZ posts, you can find a complete list of them here. So before I go and without any further ado, today's letter is: Z for Zither


In Biblical times, music played a vital role in everyday lives. (Daniel 3:5, 7, 10, 15) There was music for rejoicing (Exodus 15:1-21), dirges in times of death and sorrow (2 Samuel 1:17-27; 3:31-34) but most importantly, music was and still is extensively used in worship to Jehovah God. (1 Chronicles 23:5; 2 Chronicles 7:6; Psalms 136; 144:9; Revelation 5:9, 10; 14:1-3)

The zither (Aramaic "qathrohs" or Greek "Kithara") is a musical string instrument, consisting of many strings stretched across a thin, flat body. It is played by strumming or plucking the strings, either with one's fingers, or using a tool called a plectrum. Like a guitar or lute, a zither's body serves as a sound box, but unlike them, a zither has no neck. The number of strings varies from as few as twelve to more than fifty.
 The zither underwent a popularity boom and resurgence in the late 1940s through to 1960s, following its prominent success as the theme music of the acclaimed 1949 film noir, The Third Man. Today, zithers are most commonly found in Slovenia, Austria, Hungary, northwestern Croatia, the southern regions of Germany, alpine Europe, and East Asian cultures, including China.


*Scriptures ~ New World Translation Bible (2013) available to read/download free here

See you next time!

26 comments :

  1. Congrats on surviving the A to Z challenge!

    --
    Timothy S. Brannan
    The Other Side, April Blog Challenge: The A to Z of Witches

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello again Timothy.
      Thanks a lot. See you on the Road Trip!

      Delete
  2. Worked with a lady once 30 years ago that took up the zither. It was quite pleasant.
    Thanks for visiting Life & Faith in Caneyhead during the AtoZChallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello again Barbara.
      I don't actually know what a zither sounds like, but I imagine it's a very pleasant-sounding instrument. Thanks for the visit.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hello Mike.
      Thanks for the visit. See you on the Road Trip!

      Delete
  4. Congrats to completing the A to Z challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Melanie.
      Thanks a lot. See you on the Road Trip!

      Delete
  5. Congratz on finishing the challange! It was my first time and it was a lot of fun.

    Visiting on the a to z road trip!

    LittleCely's Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello LittleCely.
      We are both first-timers! Well done to you too! I appreciate the visit and hope to see you on the Road Trip.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on completing the A-Z challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sherry.
      Thank you. I appreciate the visit as well. Hope to see you on the Road Trip!

      Delete
  7. I did not know what a zither was until today. Cool to know it is an instrument.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sweetbearies.
      I first came across the word "zither" in the Bible and I had to do a little research to find out more about it. Now I know too! ;-) Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  8. Hi EG .. thanks for visiting .. and glad you're going on the road trip - enjoy meeting many other bloggers .. hope you get to write a Reflections post and more posts as you tour round ..

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Hilary.
      Thanks for the nice comment. Not sure if I'll get to write a Reflections post, but I'm using the Road Trip to visit all the blogs on the original signup list...all 2,008 of them! Hope I don't run out of petrol (gas)!!! Thanks for taking the time to stop by.

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on surviving A-Z 2014! I loved The Third Man film and soundtrack! Tahnks for this post about that musical instrument!
    --Alicia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Alicia.
      Thanks for the visit. Hope you enjoy the Road Trip!

      Delete
  10. Thank you for coming by to visit me, and your kind words. Congratulations on reaching the end of the A-Z challenge. I wish I had, but I had more on my plate than I could handle. I'll try to use up the doggie bag. ;) I till have v, w, x, z. Now maybe I can do it. The background music here is beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mary.
      Even though you didn't finish the challenge, you should be proud of yourself for at least trying. This was my first challenge and if I hadn't scheduled most of my posts ahead of time, I don't think I would have finished either! You can still join the Road Trip...at least you can meander along at your own pace since you'll have until next year to visit everyone! Yes, I love Omar Akram music too. I find it very soothing. Thanks for taking the time to stop by.

      Delete
  11. I'm stopping by on the A to Z road trip. Love the music on your blog. Congratulations of finishing. It's lots of fun checking out those I missed during the challenge. It looks like you have a variety of topics for your challenge as I did. I look forward to thumbing through your posts. God bless, Maria @ Delight Directed Living

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Maria.
      I'm glad you like the music. I've not been able to keep up with the blog visiting schedule as I am especially busy, but every now and then, I'll get back on the Road Trip to see how others are doing. It was nice of you to take the time to stop by and comment. Many thanks!

      Delete
  12. You did it! Congratulations on reaching the end of A to Z!

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  13. Zither--- how cool! I only did a few posts for the A-to-Z challenge but I did one on a musical instrument as well--- in my case, the Garklein recorder, the smallest member of the recorder family.

    Sadly, they didn't have them in Bible times, but I'm sure they had some sort of flute-type instrument that was similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anna.
      I did a little research and actually, flutes were one of the most popular instruments in Biblical times. They were played at banquets and weddings and also in more sombre times. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete