Social Connections & Search This Blog

Contact MeBarbara David [Entrepreneurial Goddess] on FacebookBarbara David [EPGoddess] on G+Barbara David [EPGoddess] on NetworkedBlogsBarbara David [EPGoddess] on TwitterBarbara David [EPGoddess] on LinkyFollowersBarbara David [EPGoddess] on PinterestBarbara David [EPGoddess] on Instagram

Monday, September 22, 2014

A DASH OF ENTREPRENEURIAL #9 | Beauty 203

Hello there. Welcome to Entrepreneurial Goddess and the 9th post in my series entitled "Off On My Tangent!"

It seems like I haven't written anything in ages. One reason is I was just plain exhausted from completing my first AtoZ Challenge [click here for all my posts]. The second is that I've been having separation issues...wait...it's not what you think...I'm talking coconut oil and DIY creme issues!

***OCTOBER 2016 - THERE'S A NEWER VERSION OF THIS CREAM HERE***
*** NOVEMBER 2015 - THERE'S AN IMPROVED VERSION OF THIS CREAM HERE***

Summer here has been really hot and my DIY cremes have been separating like crazy. They're still usable of course, but just don't look so nice. So, I went back to my Test Kitchen to see what was causing the problem. I finally figured out the culprit was coconut oil, a staple in my kitchen for total body wellness. Turns out my cremes and coconut oil just don't like each other during the warmer months. What was I to do? How could I manage without my number one oil? Well after much deliberation, testing, frustration and lots of tears, I've reformulated my cremes without the coconut and so far, I have not had a single batch separate! Not sure how this particular creme will fare in the winter months when I turn on the heat, but I'll deal with that step as and when necessary. For the time being, this new formulation works great and can be used from head to toe. It's not greasy or oily and rubs into the skin very easily. If you're still interested in my original lo-creme [lotion/creme] formula and would like to try that one out for yourself, just click here...

I love, love, love Shea Butter and am very heavy-handed when measuring it out, so just be aware that when I made this recipe myself, I probably used a lot more of it than the given ingredients. Please bear in mind too that these ingredients work for me and my family and the list is just a rough guideline to get you started. Through practice and error, you'll find what works for you and then use less or more of everything according to what you like. This recipe will yield enough to fill 3 four ounce mason jars. I used a bit more of the ingredients to fill my 16 ounce wide mouth mason jar.

Let me show you how I made it. View the photo tutorial from My Kitchen to yours here. If you have any questions, suggestions or your own tips and tricks on making face and body lotion, please feel free to share them in the comments box below.

See you next time!
EPGsig

10 comments :

  1. It's nice of you to post a recipe and instructions. I am returning your A-Z Road Trip visit. I am terribly behind in those...

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Yvonne. I started out with good intentions, but like you, I too have fallen behind in my visiting. I appreciate your comment and thank you for taking the time to stop by.

      Delete
  2. How fun that you're making this yourself. I'm just lazy and use the shea butter from the Body Shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Traveling Cats. Making crème is a wonderful experience. I've had lots of mishaps, but the end result has always been worth it! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. That is quite a process. I'm not sure I'd undertake it, but I'm always fascinated by how these creams we take for granted in our cosmetic departments can actually be created in our kitchens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello C Lee McKenzie. I really got interested in making my own crèmes once I decided I no longer wanted to use a bunch of chemicals on my skin. The process was daunting at first, but I've made quite a few batches since my first attempt and I have to say they keep getting better! It's actually fun to see something I've made from scratch come to fruition. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  4. Me too, like cleemckenzie! I'm looking for a lip stick without lead in it! You are so talented to be able to do this. I don't know if I'd have the patience, at least not yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lisa.
      I haven't tried making lipstick, but I'm currently working on a lip balm recipe. Perhaps when I'm happy with the lip balm, I'll do some research/practice for lipstick and let you know the end result. In the meantime, thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for visiting my blog, I'm returning your visit. :-)

    I love the idea of trying to make my own cosmetics and things. I don't actually wear much make up but I do use moisturizer fairly frequently. I've got very sensitive skin so it can be hard to find things that don't turn me into an itchy, blotchy mess. I'll have to try making my own at some point. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Click.
      It does seem daunting at first to try to make one's own cosmetics, but once you get the ingredients/recipe right, there's no end of things you can make. I hope you do indeed give it a try...it's very exciting, plus money-saving too. Thanks a lot for visiting.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting.
Comments are always welcome...so go on, say something!