Social Connections & Search This Blog

Contact MeBarbara David [Entrepreneurial Goddess] on FacebookBarbara David [EPGoddess] on G+Barbara David [EPGoddess] on NetworkedBlogsBarbara David [EPGoddess] on TwitterBarbara David [EPGoddess] on LinkyFollowersBarbara David [EPGoddess] on Pinterest

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

A to Z Challenge | S is for SMELLING SALTS and SKIN


Hello there.
Welcome to Entrepreneurial Goddess.
I'm taking part in the 2015 AtoZ Challenge - 26 posts on 26 days of April with Sundays off. My theme is "Things around my home". All photos are by me, Entrepreneurial Goddess. Find my other entries here...
  Today's post comes with a WARNING: IF YOU ARE IN ANY WAY SQUEAMISH, DO NOT CONTINUE READING THIS POST...LOOK AWAY NOW!!!


I cook a lot of chicken, but I always have to remove all the skin and bits...URGH!!! This is probably about three (3) pounds of chicken skin I removed from fifteen (15) pounds of chicken legs that I recently cooked for a small get-together at my house. This is what you're putting in your bellies people every time you eat chicken with the skin on! If you're feeling at all queasy, now might be the time to get a whiff of some SMELLING SALTS, which is what I had originally intended this post to be about, but I thought I'd add a little flavour to the post (lol).
  Back in the day, old fashioned smelling salts were used to revive a person who had or was about to faint. I swear by this stuff and use it on those days when I'm feeling nauseated from bouts of vertigo or when I need relief from blocked sinuses due to seasonal allergies (hay fever) or  head colds. I remember the little brown bottle from when I was a girl. Even today, my mum always carries a bottle of smelling salts with her wherever she goes. The bottle is still brown, but like everything else nowadays, the formula and even the bottle has changed.
Today's letter is: S for Smelling Salts with a little Skin for added effect!


See you next time!
EPGsig

17 comments :

  1. I didn't even know they still made smelling salts! I learned something from this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Morgan.
      Lol...I guess I'm really showing my age!
      It's a good thing they still do make smelling salts...don't know how I'd get through some of my issues!
      I appreciate the visit.

      Delete
  2. I never knew you could use smelling salts for allergies. I might have to have my husband try that out!
    TheFrogLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello thefroglady.
      Yes...and it works great too!
      Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  3. I remember visiting one of my brothers in a hospital after he was in a really bad car accident. The sight of him hooked to so many tubes, bruised, stitched, and broken, along with the smells of the hospital, I nearly passed out. One of the nurses ran smelling salts under my nose to help me snap out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Trudy.
      Visiting loved ones in the hospital can be quite traumatizing. Hope your brother ended up ok. I sometimes think back to the gentlemen doctors who always seemed to have a bottle on hand for those well-mannered ladies who seemed to "feign" fainting whenever they were embarrassed or shocked at something! lol
      Thanks for the visit.

      Delete
  4. The chicken was quite an attention getter. Yuk! Very familiar with smelling salts....wake you right up. Creating Life Beautifully - A to Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sandra.
      lol...the chicken wasn't part of my original post...I just added it to make a point!
      I see may people are still familiar with smelling salts. I don't feel so old-fashioned afterall.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Barbara, First Aid kits still have smelling salts. It's in cotton like material and you crush the glass (or whatever it's made of now) and releases the smell. My mom has always had some on hand--there were 9 kids in my family and you just never knew what would come up with the group of us intrepid exploring types. :-)

    I do like chicken skin on fried chicken but I can eat a lot of it. I might be able to munch my way through a chicken drumstick but my dogs love the things.

    Thanks for the visit. :-)

    Sia McKye Over Coffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sia.
      WoW! 9 kids...I can see why the smelling salts would come in handy!
      Back in the day, we used to love chicken skin too, but as with most things these days, even the skin has changed, or maybe it's the chicken...anyway I keep it out of our diet now.
      Nice of you to visit.

      Delete
  6. Visiting from A/Z; oh my with the chicken skins! It does give you a second thought to see if you really want to put that in your stomach indeed!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Betty.
      I'm sorry for being so mean with the chicken, but at least it got you to thinking. ;-)
      Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  7. I remember smelling salts. I used to pass out a lot. ughghgh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Katy.
      Hope you're not passing out so often now!
      Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  8. What is actually in smelling salts I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jeffrey.
      The main ingredients in smelling salts are ammonium carbonate and water. Some salts might also contain essential oils like lavender and/or eucalyptus, but I've never come across any sweet-smelling smelling salts. This stuff is pretty powerful and works as is for me.

      Delete