Social Connections & Search This Blog

Contact MeBarbara David [Entrepreneurial Goddess] on FacebookBarbara David [EPGoddess] on G+Barbara David [EPGoddess] on NetworkedBlogsBarbara David [EPGoddess] on TwitterBarbara David [EPGoddess] on LinkyFollowersBarbara David [EPGoddess] on PinterestBarbara David [EPGoddess] on Instagram

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

A to Z Challenge | X is for XYLITOL


Hello there.
Welcome to Entrepreneurial Goddess.
I'm taking part in the 2015 AtoZ Challenge - 26 posts on 26 days of April with Sundays off. My theme is "Things around my home". All photos are by me, Entrepreneurial Goddess. Find my other entries here...
  I had a hard time finding anything x-like in my home. I was almost ready to give up when I saw it...my yellow hard hat sitting quietly in the cupboard. When I turned it over, I was half expecting to find work gloves or even a spider or two, but no...there it was...my "X" staring straight at me with a smile!

Then hubby suggested Xylitol, a sugar substitute/sweetener that tastes just as sweet as sugar, but with about one third of the calories. It's supposed to be helpful for diabetics in that it doesn't raise your glycemic index. Xylitol is naturally found in the fibers of some fruits and veggies. Our own bodies manufacture a small amount of this stuff during daily metabolism...who knew! For commercial purposes though, it's extracted from corncobs or trees like birch. It's often used in sugar-free chewing gum, lozenges, cough sweets, toothpaste and some low fat yoghurts. Hubby reports there is no aftertaste like other sugar substitutes he's tried (Stevia and Truvia brought us both out in rashes!). Apparently you can use Xylitol in cooking too, but I haven't tried it yet.
Today's letter is: X for Xylitol and X in my hard hat

 

See you next time!
EPGsig

8 comments :

  1. I've always been a bit wary about artificial sweeteners, I confess.I would much rather go for say, honey or jaggery in its raw form. But the non-GMO nature of this is rather intriguing!

    Lovely to have found you via the A-Z. A bit late, I must confess. Sorry about that.

    *Shailaja/Alternate Angles/A-Z*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Shailaja.
      Oh you're not late...I'm just happy you stopped by!
      I personally don't use much sugar, but I've had to find low-sugar alternatives that would agree with hubby since he's diabetic. I had to Google "jaggery" since I've never heard of it before.
      Thanks for sharing and for the visit.

      Delete
  2. Interesting. I haven't tried this yet.

    Happy A to Z! We're almost at the end.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Yvonne.
      The crystals are a lot bigger than sugar, but I think it tastes the same.
      Thankfully, today (Thurs) is the last day...I'm tired!
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. I like that you didn't cheat and use and "ex" word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeffrey!
      Any form of cheating goes against my Bible-trained principles.
      The word you chose for your x-post was the same one I used for my x-post in the 2014 AtoZ Challenge.

      Delete
  4. I saw this mentioned the other day and I thought it was some kind of medicine! I guess as long as it doesn't cause any type of negative reactions, it might be worth a try though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kieron.
      A medicine? Lol...that's too funny!
      So far, no one in the family has experienced any adverse reactions and hubby seems to like the taste of it.
      I appreciate you stopping by.

      Delete