Social Connections & Search This Blog

Contact MeBarbara David [Entrepreneurial Goddess] on FacebookBarbara David [EPGoddess] on G+Barbara David [EPGoddess] on NetworkedBlogsBarbara David [EPGoddess] on TwitterBarbara David [EPGoddess] on LinkyFollowersBarbara David [EPGoddess] on Pinterest

Saturday, August 01, 2015

THE TEN PLAGUES - Epilogue

Hello there. Welcome to Entrepreneurial Goddess and my third Bible series entitled "The Ten Plagues".

Let's recap: Ten plagues have befallen Egypt. The Egyptian magic-practicing priests and all their false gods and goddesses have been shamed by the power and might of Jehovah God. Pharaoh was haughty and refused to free God's people from slavery. He had a change of heart only after his firstborn son was killed as a result of the tenth plague. Why were the plagues necessary and what lessons can we learn?

We need to go back in history to the time when the Israelites lived in a region of the Nile delta named Goshen (Genesis 45:9, 10*). For the most part, they coexisted peacefully with the Egyptians (Genesis 47:1-6*). That peacefulness was shattered, however, when a new king [Pharaoh] came to power. Because of God's blessings, the Israelites grew mighty and even more numerous. Pharaoh must have felt threatened by this so he took them into slavery (Exodus 1:8, 9, 13, 14*), even issuing a decree to have the Hebrew male babies put to death at birth (Exodus 1:15, 16*). It was during this time that Moses was born (Exodus 2:1-10*).
  Fast forward several years. Moses is all grown up and a loyal servant of Jehovah God. God has heard the groaning of His people and seen their suffering so He chooses Moses to lead the Israelites out of Egypt (Exodus 2:24, 25; 3:9, 10*). He instructs Moses and Aaron to say to Pharaoh: "This is what Jehovah, the God of Israel says, 'Send my people away so that they may celebrate a festival to me in the wilderness.'" (Exodus 5:1*)
  As you know from the earlier articles in this series, Pharaoh was a defiant hot-head, refusing to release God's people from slavery. Jehovah God sent ten plagues on the land of Egypt, showing His control over water, sunlight, insects, animals and humans! The Egyptian magic-practicing priests and deities could do nothing to prevent those blows! Remember, the first three plagues equally hurt the Egyptians and the Israelites, but the fourth and subsequent plagues only affected the Egyptians. This showed that God can selectively bring calamity upon His enemies while protecting His obedient worshippers.
  Idols of metal, stone, straw or wood, what power do they have? Absolutely none! Not one of them can compare to the only true God, Jehovah. Isaiah 43:10, 11; 46:5, 9* says: "...have faith in me...I am the same One. Before me no God was formed, And after me there has been none. I-I am Jehovah, and besides me there is no savior...To whom will you liken me or make me equal or compare me, so that we should resemble each other? ...I am God, and there is no other, I am God, and there is no one like me."
  There are many more Bible accounts like the ten plagues designed to strengthen your faith and trust in God. My God, Jehovah, is matchless and unlimited in power! (Exodus 15:6*) The account of the ten plagues is a perfect example of the two roads Jesus spoke about in his Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 7:13, 14*). The narrow road that leads to life is God's side, whereas the broad and spacious road leading to destruction is Satan's side. The Israelites and "a vast mixed company" [which may well have included some of the Egyptians] chose the narrow road or God's side (Exodus 12:38*). Jehovah God protected them and they lived. Pharaoh and his cohorts opposed God, choosing instead the broad road or Satan's side and they were destroyed. Matthew 12:30* says: "Whoever is not on my side is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters." You have a choice too - will you choose the one true God, Jehovah, who guarantees you life or will you choose a "worthless idol" that cannot hear, speak or act on your behalf? (Exodus 34:14, 17; Leviticus 19:4; Deuteronomy 30:19, 20*) I know what my God can do...how about you?

*New World Translation Bible (2013) available to read/download free here
**Public Domain image from netanimations.net

P.S. Don't forget to share if you like this post.

See you next time!
EPGsig

4 comments :

  1. Hi,
    Thank you for sharing about the Ten Commandments and for giving clear and understandable reasons why it is so important to read the Bible for yourself. I enjoyed the music also.
    Shalom,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Pat.
      I think you meant the "Ten Plagues". ;-) And yes, reading the Bible is very important as that's how we come to know God and what He requires of us.
      I'm glad you like the music...I do too!
      Thanks for the visit.

      Delete
    2. Hi,
      I'm sorry about my spelling mistake. I should have proofread it first, but I didn't.
      Yes, I did mean ten plagues and not plaques.
      Shalom,
      Pat

      Delete
    3. No worries Pat!
      It was nice of you to come back to double-check. ;-)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting.
Comments are always welcome...so go on, say something!