Social Connections & Search This Blog

Contact MeBarbara David [Entrepreneurial Goddess] on FacebookBarbara David [EPGoddess] on G+Barbara David [EPGoddess] on NetworkedBlogsBarbara David [EPGoddess] on TwitterBarbara David [EPGoddess] on LinkyFollowersBarbara David [EPGoddess] on Pinterest

Thursday, October 01, 2015

Cooking 305 | CORNBREAD

Hello there. Welcome to Entrepreneurial Goddess and the 29th post in my series entitled "Off On My Tangent!"

Lately, my moods seems to change with the seasons and I've been craving comfort foods like soup and stews. I made a delicious vegetable bean soup recently [recipe to follow], but I didn't have my favourite rustic bread for dipping. Then I had an idea [sometimes they come to me just like that]. Why not make cornbread? Usually, I head straight for the blue and yellow box [you know the brand that starts with "J"], but since I'm trying to reduce my chemical dependence, why not make my own from scratch...shouldn't be too hard right?

I must've searched more than 50+ cornbread recipes. I discovered people in the Southern US like it salty with little to no sugar, while those in the North like it sweet and everyone else prefers it sweeter still. Something I noticed they all had in common was butter, oil and/or too much sugar. To help my ever-burgeoning waistline, I needed to find a way to cut down the fat and sugar content, especially after my recent chocolate cake over-indulgence...mmmmm...ooh I digress! Anyhow, off to My Test Kitchen I went. No sooner had I started to put my recipe together, when cornbread drama struck...my phone fell into the batter while I was taking pictures for the tutorial! For my first cornbread attempt, the batter was too thick and the cornbread came out rough like it had been glamping ["glamour camping"] for a week! My next attempt was golden and perfectly cooked, but with a slight bitter aftertaste. The next batch was also golden, but something was off - even more of a bitter aftertaste. The next batch was tasteless, rubbery and uncooked in the middle. EPG Meltdown was knocking at my door and I was beginning to think that making "healthier" cornbread from scratch wasn't such a good idea afterall! I needed help fast. I said a quick prayer to Jehovah, calm restored and with new-found determination, I did a Google search: "why does my cornbread taste bitter" and got directed to this page. Turns out there was too much acidity in my recipe, which was reacting with the baking powder, hence the bitter aftertaste...who knew! Back to my Test Kitchen I went. I discarded the store-brand baking powder I'd been using, replacing it with aluminium-free [aluminum in the US]. I adjusted the ratios, incorporating a little baking soda to neutralize the acids [buttermilk, applesauce & yoghurt]. That did the trick! Tonight, I made the most deliciously moist cornbread, not too sweet, no bitter aftertaste and definitely waistline friendly [no butter or oil needed]...and good news...after all that drama, my phone still works! Let me show you how I made it. View the photo tutorial from My Kitchen to yours here. If you have any questions, suggestions or your own tips and tricks on making cornbread, please feel free to share them in the comments box below.

P.S. Don't forget to share if you like this post.

Enjoy & see you next time!
EPGsig

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting.
Comments are always welcome...so go on, say something!